Wednesday, February 1, 2012

“KAMA SUTRA” Positioning At MACWORLD


It was all MAC or “iProducts. I did not see anyone possessing a device other than a MAC computer, iPad, iPhone, iPod or some device with a MAC OS or IOS. The battle was on 3 A’s: applications, accessories and attention.

There are now about 500,000 apps and counting for iPhones and iPads. During the last quarter, there were 37 million iPhones, 15.3 million iPads, 5.2 million MACs and 15.43 iPods added to potentially download many of the apps.

I met a couple of enthusiasts who claim to have already purchased 1500 and 1800 apps respectively. I have a long way to go but I thought that I had a good start with my MACBOOK PRO, iPAD2, iPhone and IPOD and their corresponding apps.

At the MACWORLD/IWORLD Convention, I attended 3 TECH TALKS. They were all about apps that the speakers felt were useful for iPad 2 owners. 

TOP APPS FOR IPAD 2

The first TECH TALK was on the top apps for iPad 2. I already have most of them but they might interest many of the readers: 1. Facebook; 2. Twitter; 3. Skype; 4. Facetime; 5. G-Whizz;  6. Aim;  7. Localmind; 8. WordPress; 9. Blogsy; 10. Clibe; 11. Blurb Mobile; 12. Flipboard; 13. Instagram; 14. Instapad; 15. Tripit; 16. Words with friends; 17. Soundhound; 18. Match.com; 19. Dating Dna; 20. Zoosk; 21. Scout.

The last 4 apps are “dating” apps and I did not download them. I have the first 17 and I love them. If you have an iPad 2, I advise you to download them. They are mostly free and if not, each costs definitely less than $5.

PRODUCTIVITY APPS FOR IPAD 2

The second TECH TALK was on productivity apps for iPad 2. Those discussed were: 1. Evernote; 2. Baby Monitor; 3. Aroundme; 4. AudioNote; 5. Penultimate; 6. Kindle store web app for iPad; and 7. Polkast.

They obviously make iPad 2 users more productive. I also have and love all of them. My advice is, you should also download them and try them out. Again, they are mostly free.

SUPER TOOLS FOR IPAD AT WORK

The third TECH TALK was on the super tools for iPad at work. The speakers asked iPad users to embrace the cloud. They advised users to download any or all of the following: 1. Dropbox; 2. Sugarsync; 3. Box.net; and 4. iCloud. To access any of them you can use any of these apps: 1. Evernote; 2. Ipassword; and  3. GoodReader.

Some core business apps were recommended: 1. Pages; 2. Numbers; 3. Keynote; 4. Quick Office; 5. Office2; 6. CloudOn; 7. Word; 8. Excel; 9. Power Point; and 10. OnLive Desktop.

There were other core business apps mentioned : For database management, the FileMaker Go for iPad was recommended. For Task/Project Management, the apps are: 1. Omnifocus; 2. OmniGraffle; 3. Carbon Fin Outliner; 4. Instapaper; 5. PDF Expert; 6. Billings Touch; 7. Invoice2Go; and 8. TelePrompt+.

For meetings we should use the following apps: 1. Idea Flight for iPad; 2. Agendas; 3. GoToMeeting for iPad; and 4. WebEx for iPad.

For note-taking, these apps were suggested: 1. Notability; 2. Penultimate; and 3. SoundNote;

For communications: 1. Aim; 2. Beejibe; 3. iChat; 4. Skype; and 5. Whistle Phone. The last app gives you a phone number and your iPad rings when somebody calls the number.

For travel, you should download: 1. Kayak; 2. Tripit; 3. Flight Track; 4. BizXpense Tracker for iPad; and 6. TravelTracker – Personal Travel Assistant.

Other apps worth mentioning are: 1. Square; 2. LogMeIn; 3. Ignition; and 4. Air Display.

With most, if not all, of these apps downloaded in your iPAD, you are expected to be a top, productive and super user. As my barber said on this downloading advice, “Tech IT or leave it!”

There were new amazing applications that were unveiled during the show. I will discuss some of them in my next article.

“KAMA SUTRA” POSITIONING

MACWORLD/IWORLD was also a battle of accessories and attention. The most notable one was on IPad stands and covers. To get the attention of the media, the firms who were promoting their products hired their respective PR (Public Relations) firms.

One PR lady sent me an email with the following subject: “What is your favorite position?” 

In the body of the email she said, “Stay focused……I’m referring to the 9+ positions of the Powis iCase, of course.

Visit us at Booth 1049 during Macworld/iWorld and see what the Kama Sutra Master of iPad cases can do.

Want to try Powis iCases in the privacy of your room? Visit www.powisicase.com to choose the case you would like to review. Let me know and I will have it ready for you to pick up at Booth 1049.”

Thus, the PR lady defined to a certain degree one criterion that could be used in the choice of stands and covers for the iPad. Offering a sample product to try out and review was definitely a plus.

This certainly caught my attention.  Bearing that in mind I looked at similar amazing products whose PR firms also invited me to visit their booth and also  provided me with samples for review. Among them were: the iRest; the Prop’n GO; the iBalz; Proof; and Rev 360.

I will write a review on these iPad stands and covers and other MAC-related products in a separate article.


No comments:

Post a Comment