Thursday, August 8, 2013

SCANSTIK SK 600: A SCANNER IN YOUR POCKET


Whenever I traveled to Asia, I used to bring back home gadgets for my children.  One that they liked and which became popular in their “show and tell” classes was a multi-“something” device containing different gadgets within.  It was like a Swiss Knife for the school or office.  It had a pen, pencil, stapler, staples, scotch tape, scissors, paper clips, screwdriver and two others.

Since, the device could fit into my pocket, I called it “office in my pocket.”  It was the analogue version of what PlanOn is now promoting in this digital age.

I consider SCANSTIK a “little miracle”.  If you do not believe in miracles, this one is a magic wand.  If you do not believe in magic, then, it’s a mind-boggling, amazing technology.

Consistent with its business model of bringing “Office-in-a-Pocket” solutions for business, home, and school, PlanOn recently came out with the world’s smallest full-page scanner.

Named SCANSTIK, the pen-sized scanner scans a full page in 4 seconds and stores thousands of images up to 600 dpi.  Small, fast and easy to use, SCANSTIK is compact and very sleek compared to my current portable scanner and others that I have seen in the market.

Testing the sample product that I got through noted PR agent on consumer electronics Karen Thomas, I can say that indeed, SCANSTIK has amazing and useful features.  Unlike my other portable scanner that only scans a line at a time, this one actually scans a whole page once just like a flatbed scanner.  It also has PlanOn’s CLC (Crystal Line Contact) image technology that has been proven to produce superior image quality.

It also features a Micro SD memory slot, which means it can hold thousands of images.  Although my sample came with only 2GB of memory, I understand that it can service up to 32 GB.  Having a built-in rechargeable lithium polymer battery is definitely a plus.

Plugging my SCANSTIK to my computer after scanning, I am able to transfer, recognize, organize, and edit scans.  Why?  Because included are ABBY FineReader SE and PaperPort OCR Software.

I can see the usefulness of SCANSTIK for a Mobile Professional, one who goes to office or works at home.  Of course, it is very useful for students too.

We now have eReaders, computers and smartphones in our pocket.  In them are “libraries in our pocket”.  We also have earphones, memory cards, and many more mobile accessories and gadgets that can all fit in our pockets.

In fact, in my travels attending conferences and expos, I always wear a vest that has more than 20 pockets.  In this age of digital and mobile devices, I see it as a necessity.  It also proved beneficial and convenient when passing through security at the airports.

SCANSTIK will be added to and put in one of my pockets.  Together with all my mobile devices, their accessories and their apps, they form what I call “Office on the Go” or as PlanOn calls it, “Office in a Pocket”.

As my barber would say, "If you don't have IT, you just don't have IT!"







No comments:

Post a Comment