Thursday, March 20, 2014

AIRLINE TRACKERS vs. My Mobile Finder

This product review on my Tracker and corresponding App is not scheduled for this coming publication but I decided to write about it because of current events.

We all know about the Malaysian Airlines Boeing 777 plane that until this time has not been found.

This is despite all the satellites, radars, and the most sophisticated detecting and tracking devices that are now being utilized.  My barber is disappointed but I know that he is being unfair for feeling that way.

In the last CES Conference in Las Vegas, Nevada, I was provided with a sample product for review.  It is a device with a tracking technology.

StickNFind
  
As described by the developers, one feature allows you to create a virtual leash on a sticker so that if that sticker moves away more than the approximate selected distance from your phone, your phone will alarm you. You can even select a different type of alarm for each individual Sticker. This feature is called a Virtual Leash. 

 Inline image 2

As you can see from the picture, the Sticker is attached to the collar of the dog.  If the dog goes out of the range or beyond a certain distance, the alarm will sound off and alert you. The app, which you download on your iPhone as I did, enables this feature.

Another feature makes your Sticker or Stickers trackable.  Displayed on a map on your phone as “last place seen.”  This will allow you to see where you last used StickNFind in case you lose your item with Sticker. It would help you locate it.  It also allows your sticker to communicate within the StickNFind server but only you will receive notifications that your sticker has been found.

Inline image 1   
One feature that I actually use my stickers for is for my personal items. This feature activates a one-mile geofence or virtual perimeter around your iPhone or mobile device to help prevent the loss of your item/s.  Once the mobile device is outside the geofence you will receive email notification.

The connectivity is Bluetooth 4.0; Range is approximately 100 feet line of sight; the Battery type is CR2016 watch battery (replaceable) and it last up to 1 year

I have two of these Stickers and they have been useful in my tests. Of course, I hope that I do not have to actually lose any of my personal items to test how effective the technology is.

The Missing Malaysian Airlines

As I explained above, there are technologies that are currently utilized to track small and big items as well as places.  We have the Find Your Phone app, Google Earth, GPS, and many others that I still have to write about. In fact, as I write this article my SocialRadar app informs me that a Facebook friend just checked in at Pagasa Weather Station which is 8551 miles away.

The StickNFind technology is quite simple but it is able to track small items or big ones when the Stickers are attached and the app connects them to your mobile device.

My barber’s disappointment is our inability to track a plane as big as a Boeing 777.  Wasn’t it possible to have attached a Sticker as small as a StickNFind hidden somewhere on the plane but connected to some server that only Boeing or some authorized agency/personnel knows?





No comments:

Post a Comment