Wednesday, March 12, 2014

PRODUCT REVIEW: SleepPhones


In this week’s column/blog, I will be reviewing an amazing wearable technology product.  I had this sample after I visited the booth of Acoustic Sleep LLC at the International CES 2014 in Las Vegas.  Dr. Wei Shin Lai, MD, the inventor and the Chief Executive Officer of the company gave it to me.  I finally opened the package and tested it.

SleepPhones

It is called the SleepPhones.  Dr. Wei Shin Lai, a family doctor, developed it “to provide a safe, all-natural way to provide restful, music assisted relaxation without bulky headphones.”


The device is actually a machine washable headband with removable padded speakers.  The headband is made of cool, breathable, moisture-wicking fabric with a 4’ cord (120 cm) and a mini-jack 1/8” (3.5 mm).

It works with most music players.  The built-in sounds or music in the app are supposed to help you fall asleep faster and sleep more soundly.  An added claim is that it blocks-out snoring and other unwanted noise.

For more MP3 downloads, a selection of relaxing audio tracks with scientifically proven sleep-enhancing rhythms is available for free at www.SleepPhones.com.

I downloaded the SleepPhones app to my iPhone 5s.  I wore the headband and connected the cord to my iPhone.   The headband is very comfortable whether wearing it standing up, sitting down, and most especially lying down in bed.  I played the sounds embedded in the app first.  They were indeed soft and soothing as I closed my eyes.  They really put me to sleep faster and more soundly.

I visited the company website just to check the available MP3 downloads.  Worth mentioning are two: “To Dreams Unsettled” , a Sleep track; and “Breakfast Sizzle”, an Awake track.

Of course, I could not help going into testing whether it is as effective using my own sleep-enhancing sounds and music as well as other apps that could work hand-in-hand with SleepPhones.
 
SLEEP Track

As I expected, it worked.  I used it as a speaker for my playlists such as songs of Frank Sinatra, Michael Buble, Beatles, Harry Belafonte and Jason Myles Goss.  I also played the versions of Marvin Gaye and his Duet with his daughter Nona, and that of Renee Fleming of the U.S. National Anthem; the interpretations of Alicia Keyes, Ray Charles, and Elvis Presley of  “America the Beautiful”; and many more.

I have an app called “aSleep”.  It also plays sounds that help you fall asleep faster and more soundly.  Included are the sounds of Rain, Rain and Thunder, Wind, Waves, Water Drops, Waterfall, and many more.  I tried them with the comfortable SleepPhones and they were effective.

I have another app called CAPTI, which I featured, in an earlier column/blog.  It is a Text-to-Speech technology that is used to read the “texts” for you by a “natural” voice that you choose – male or female.  When your eyes are tired, you can use this app and listen until it is finished or until you fall asleep.  Again I used this app with CAPTI and it worked very well.

I also brought the SleepPhones to my gym.  I played all the songs that I connected or linked together for non-stop playing using another app.  This was while I was on the treadmill, the bike and as I use the weights and other pieces of gym equipment.

Of course, whether at the gym, in the car, at the park or even in the library, I make sure that the sound tracks that I use are on the AWAKE – not SLEEP track.

 
AWAKE Track
It is a pity that I did not get to test this magical and almost miraculous yet very simple technology product sooner.  Time and human limitations prevented me from getting into it as early as I should have.  But I am making up for lost time.

This app was invented primarily to deal with the sound use of the allotted 1/3 part of our life.  My experience and by many others who have bought and used it, attest to its usefulness in this arena.

But as I have also tried and tested its features, its usefulness will prove beneficial while we enjoy the 2/3 part of our life.
Description: https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/images/cleardot.gif

I strongly recommend that you get it.  As the Washington Post would say, “if you don’t get it, you just don’t get it!



No comments:

Post a Comment